Thursday, June 4, 2009

Interview with Coach Ken Meibers of Monroe High School

Monroe's Football Coach Meibers
Ken Meibers, the varsity football coach at Monroe High School, started playing football at a very young age. The sport that he calls "greatest team game in the world" has been a part of his life ever since. We recently had the opportunity to talk to Coach Meibers about everything from the upcoming 2009 football season to his favorite things about the Monroe community to what he likes to do in his spare time:

Can you tell us a little bit about your background including your days as a player and a coach at Colerain and Findlay, where you are from, about your family?

Coach Meibers: I played two years at St. Xavier High School. I then transferred to Colerain High School and continued to play football. I was a member of the 1995 State Finalist football team that was disqualified for using an ineligible player. I earned a football scholarship after my senior season at Colerain. I went on to play for 5 seasons at The University of Findlay. I was a member of their first NCAA Division 2 recruiting class. I was a three year starter on the offensive line. In college I was a two-time All GLIAC Selection as an offensive lineman. I was voted as The Most Outstanding Lineman in 1999. In 2001, I was voted Team MVP. After my playing days I became the Tight Ends Coach for a year and a half before returning to Colerain as a Science Teacher and Assistant Football and Track Coach I coached both football and track at Colerain for 5 years. During that time I was part of the 2004 State Championship Football Team. We were also Regional Champions in 2006, and Regional Runner Ups in 2003, 2007.

I coached two girls throwers to the state meet in the shot put. They finished 4th and 6th place respectively. I also coached numerous sprint relay teams to the state meet during my four seasons as Boys Sprint Coach. In 2005, our Boys Track team was District Champions.

My parents are both retired teachers. My mother taught OWE for 35 years at Northwest High School. My father is a very accomplished Track and Cross Country Coach. He was head coach of the Boys 1978 State Cross Country Team at Colerain High School (The only other boys state title won at Colerain.) He is now the Athletic Director at Lockland High School.

When did you first get into football?

 On The Parctice fieldCoach Meibers: I began playing football in 5th grade, and I played every year til I graduated from college.


How did you end up at Monroe High School?

Coach Meibers: When I saw that the job was open I became interested. I always wanted to be a Head Coach. I thought long and hard about the Monroe Job, but after several conversations with both Dave Bauer and John Singleton, I decided that it would be a great fit.


What is your favorite thing about coaching and working at Monroe High School?

Coach Meibers: The best thing about being at Monroe is the school and community support. Since I first arrived here, everyone has been very welcoming. I also love working with the staff and players. The kids have done a fantastic job. They finally understand that hard work is the key to success.


What are you looking forward to for the 2009 season?

Coach Meibers: I look forward to putting a much improved football team on the field every week. We are bigger, faster, and stronger than we were last year. We return 17 starters. Our off season program was very successful. The kids have been put through a total of 108 grueling workouts that began the Monday before Thanksgiving. Football here at Monroe will never be cancelled and it is our goal to outwork every opponent on our schedule. The players have now had a full calandar year to learn the system and terminology. The staff is also completely intact and we now have had extra time to fully understand each other and the goals of the offensive and defensive system. Our goal as a staff is to improve our players and stress the common goal of every aspect of the program...WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS.


Who are your heroes - both in football and in life? Favorite football players growing up?

Coach Meibers: My hero is my mom...Carol Meibers. I don't have football heroes, favorite players, or favorite teams. I enjoy watching college games. I love to see the competition that goes along with the sport. Football is the greatest team game in the world...we win and lose as a team. More From The Practice Field

What is your favorite thing about the Monroe Community?

Coach Meibers: I love the way that the community supports the schools and sports. The community is very tight-knit and family oriented. That is perfect because I consider myself to be a family man.


What do you like to do when you are not coaching?


Spend time with my wife Stephanie, and two kids...Jackson (2 years old) and Makenna (5 weeks old).


Coach Meibers also added "I encourage everyone in the community to come out and support the Hornets at every game this year. The kids will make you proud."

We'd like to thank Coach Ken Meibers for taking the time for our interview and of course, Go Hornets!!

To View More Pictures Click Here Monroe High School Football




Looking for a Surveillance System? Then call 513-422-1907 for a Security Camera System in Middletown, Cincinnati, or the Dayton, Ohio areas.

1 comment:

  1. Great interview of a coach who came into a district that had its winningest coach leave. Tough act to follow, Ken has done a fantastic job so far. Keep up the good work Ken!

    ReplyDelete